<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Top UN envoy to North Korea loses post
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-07-19 09:10

          A Canadian businessman lost his job as the top U.N. envoy to North Korea amid questions about his connection to a suspect in the U.N. oil-for-food scandal, the world body said Monday.

          The decision not to renew Maurice Strong's contract follows criticism that he gave his stepdaughter a job at the United Nations and concerns over his ties to a South Korean businessman accused of accepting kickbacks from Saddam Hussein's government.

          Deputy U.N. spokeswoman Marie Okabe said in response to a question that Strong's contract expired last week "and it has not been renewed." She said later "if he is cleared of any involvement in the oil-for-food program, the secretary-general will consider availing himself of Mr. Strong's expertise on an informal basis."

          Strong, 76, denied that he had been terminated, saying he told Secretary-General Kofi Annan when his contract was renewed for six months in January that he did not want another extension because "I'm at an age and stage where I can't go on forever."

          "As arranged long before any of these other questions had arisen, my understanding was that I would complete my assignment and would continue to be available to provide any further advice, but could not continue in the more operational role that I had had," he said in a telephone interview from his base in Canada.

          Strong, who had been the U.N. point man on six-nation talks aimed at persuading North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons programs, took temporary leave from his part-time post on April 20 during a probe of his ties to businessman Tongsun Park.

          The next day his stepdaughter, Christina Mayo, resigned after a U.N. review discovered that she had worked at the United Nations for her stepfather for two years. U.N. staff regulations in most cases prohibit the hiring of immediate family members.

          Park, a native of North Korea and citizen of South Korea, was charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office in April with allegedly accepting millions of dollars from Saddam's government to lobby illegally for Iraq in the United States on behalf of the oil-for-food program.

          Strong said Park had advised him on Korean issues, but he again denied any involvement with the $64 billion humanitarian program in Iraq. He has pledged to cooperate with an oil-for-food probe led by former U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker who is expected to issue three more reports by the end of September.

          Prosecutors say Park met with an unidentified U.N. official in an apparent effort to influence the design of the oil-for-food program and invested $1 million in a company run by the official's son. Strong acknowledged that Park invested money in an oil company, Cordex Petroleum, in which he and his family had a significant interest.

          Strong had been involved in U.N. environment and development issues since 1970 and in January 1997 was appointed a senior adviser to Annan on reforming the United Nations.

          He said he started monitoring North Korea in 1998 and about 2 1/2 years ago Annan asked him to become more active because of the nuclear weapons issue and "the very acute humanitarian problems" caused by food shortages.

          "So I took that on, and it's gone on a good deal longer than expected," Strong said.

          "What's been done, not necessarily by me, helped provide the foundations for the economic and energy components that will be essential to a peaceful settlement. That work will continue through U.N. normal channels," he said.

          "I'm going to be continuing to work on Korea and make my advice available as it may be useful to the U.N.," Strong said.

          North Korea said last week it would end its 13-month boycott of disarmament negotiations after being assured by a U.S. envoy that Washington respects Pyongyang's sovereignty. The six-nation nuclear talks, set to reconvene next week in Beijing, also include China, Japan, Russia and South Korea.

          "That's good news," Strong said of the upcoming talks. "It'll be better news when the talks become real negotiations ... It still has a long way to go, but it looks like the process is moving again."



          American women call for end of war
          Israeli forces storm Gaza settlement
          South Korean, DPRK separated families hold video reunions
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Guangzhou oil supply 'returning to normal'

           

             
           

          First joint drill with Russia launched

           

             
           

          Scotland bank in US$3.1b deal for BOC stake

           

             
           

          China-US textile talks make progress

           

             
           

          Opinion: Corruption has to stay capital crime

           

             
           

          'Bird flu may cause global economic mayhem'

           

             
            al-Qaida leader in Saudi Arabia killed
             
            Iraq lawmakers work on draft constitution
             
            Israeli forces storm Gaza Synagogues
             
            Encephalitis kills 79 children in India
             
            Almost 90 arrested after Bangladesh bombings
             
            Tigers agree to review Sri Lanka truce, emergency extended
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          3 more oil-for-food reports to be issued
             
          AP: Oil-for-food investigators resign
             
          Oil-for-food chief said to block audit
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 大屁股国产白浆一二区| 全免费A级毛片免费看无码| 欧美性猛交xxxx乱大交丰满| 97精品伊人久久大香线蕉| 秋霞人妻无码中文字幕| 亚洲永久精品ww47永久入口| 久草视频在线这里只有精品| 亚洲人妻精品一区二区| 国产精品一品二区三区的使用体验 | 亚洲日韩精品无码一区二区三区| 国产成人一区二区视频免费| 国产精品无圣光一区二区| 中文字幕精品亚洲字幕成| 亚洲国产精品综合久久网络| 1区2区3区4区产品不卡码网站| 亚洲AV日韩AV永久无码电影| 色欲国产一区二区日韩欧美| 国产不卡一区不卡二区| 四虎国产精品永久入口| jizz视频在线观看| 999热在线精品观看全部| 国产精品午夜福利在线观看| 动漫AV纯肉无码AV电影网| 亚洲顶级裸体av片| 人妻饥渴偷公乱中文字幕| 国产亚洲精品2021自在线| 久久亚洲精品情侣| 日本三级成人中文字幕乱码| 国产在线精品中文字幕| 在线人妻无码一区二区| 精品国产高清中文字幕| 骚片av蜜桃精品一区| 亚洲美免无码中文字幕在线| 国产乱来乱子视频| 在线国产极品尤物你懂的| 韩国免费A级毛片久久| 色偷偷亚洲女人天堂观看| 亚洲av永久无码精品水牛影视| 丝袜美腿亚洲一区在线| 国产成人最新三级在线视频| 国产精品久久自在自2021|