<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Katrina death toll may not hit 10,000
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-09-10 09:36

          Alarming predictions of as many as 10,000 dead in New Orleans may have been greatly exaggerated, with authorities saying Friday that the first street-by-street sweep of the swamped city revealed far fewer corpses than feared, the Associated Press reported.


          Military personnel walk through mud while searching door-to-door for survivors after floodwaters from Hurricane Katrina receded in Chalmette, near New Orleans, September 9, 2005. [Reuters]

          "Some of the catastrophic deaths that some people predicted may not have occurred," said Col. Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security chief.

          He declined to give a revised estimate. But he added: "Numbers so far are relatively minor as compared to the dire projections of 10,000."

          The encouraging news came as workers repairing New Orlean's system of levees and water pumps projected Friday that it will take a month to dry out the city ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

          Authorities officially shifted most of their attention to counting and removing the dead after spending days cajoling, persuading and all but strong-arming the living into leaving the city because of the danger of fires and disease from the fetid floodwaters.

          Ever since the hurricane struck Aug. 29, residents, rescuers and cadaver-sniffing dogs have found bodies floating in the waters, trapped in attics or deft lying on broken highways. Some were dropped off at hospital doorsteps or left slumped in wheelchairs out in the open.

          Mayor Ray Nagin suggested last weekend that "it wouldn't be unreasonable to have 10,000" dead, and authorities ordered 25,000 body bags. But soldiers who had been brought in over the past few days to help in the search were not seeing that kind of toll.

          "There's nothing at all in the magnitude we anticipated," said Maj. Gen. Bill Caldwell, commander of the Army's 82nd Airborne Division.

          Ebbert said the search for the dead will be done systematically, block-by-block, with dignity and with no news media allowed to follow along. "You can imagine sitting in Houston and watching somebody removed from your parents' property. We don't think that's proper," he said.

          The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said most of the city could be drained by Oct. 2, but some of the eastern areas of New Orleans and the hard-hit community of Chalmette, across the Mississippi River, could be under water until Oct. 8. Plaquemines Parish, which suffered a storm surge from the coast, could take another 10 days to drain.

          The Corps had previously said it could take up to 80 days to drain the city. Friday marked the first time engineers offered detailed time tables.

          The effort to get water out of the city, which had been 80 percent covered following the storm and levee breaches, was helped by dry weather and gaps blown in the levees to allow floodwaters to drain out.

          Over the past few days, police and soldiers trying to rescue the living marked houses where corpses were found, or noted their location with global positioning devices, so that the bodies could be collected later.

          A dozen boats awaiting calls to retrieve bodies were lined up early Friday on an interstate ramp that was being used as a makeshift boat launch. Soldiers also hauled the last of the bodies out of the convention center, which became an increasingly violent and chaotic place before the evacuees were finally removed a week ago.
          Page: 12



          Post-Katrina New Orleans
          12th APEC Finance Ministers Meeting
          Germany's Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder campaigning
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China banks target public listings in 2006

           

             
           

          President Hu praises China-Canada relations

           

             
           

          Fireworks ban goes up in smoke in Beijing

           

             
           

          Banker: Further RMB revaluation unnecessary

           

             
           

          Katrina death toll may not hit 10,000

           

             
           

          Hotshots gather for all-star China Open

           

             
            Mubarak wins Egypt presidential vote
             
            Katrina death toll may not hit 10,000
             
            PolL: Most say abandon flooded areas
             
            Cops set to forcibly clear out New Orleans
             
            Papers put Mubarak ahead with 80 pct in Egypt
             
            Katrina divides rather than unifies U.S.
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 色欲色香天天天综合网站免费| 无码囯产精品一区二区免费| 日韩精品一区二区三区激情| 亚洲一区中文字幕人妻| 亚洲人成电影在线天堂色| 天堂亚洲免费视频| 国产精品高潮无码毛片| 无码一区二区三区AV免费| 国产一区二区三区导航| 亚洲成人精品综合在线| 大伊香蕉在线精品视频75| 精品欧美一区二区三区久久久| 丰满少妇69激情啪啪无| 99国产精品久久久久久久成人热| 71pao成人国产永久免费视频| 欧美牲交a欧美牲交aⅴ免费真| 亚洲av激情一区二区三区| 色综合 图片区 小说区| 亚洲欧美一区二区成人片| 中文字幕v亚洲ⅴv天堂| 亚洲中文字幕无码人在线| 厨房与子乱在线观看| 潘金莲高清dvd碟片| 亚洲色大成网站WWW永久麻豆| 亚洲an日韩专区在线| 欧美福利电影A在线播放| 中文字幕在线不卡一区二区| 久久久久中文字幕精品视频| 欧美精品亚洲精品日韩专| 深夜福利成人免费在线观看| 国产午夜福利免费入口| 青青青青国产免费线在线观看| 激情综合网五月激情五月| 久久精品国产亚洲av麻豆小说| 国产高清毛片| 尤物亚洲国产亚综合在线区| 欧美精品亚洲精品日韩专| ā片在线观看免费观看| 色哟哟www网站入口成人学校| 亚洲高潮喷水无码AV电影| 99精品高清在线播放|