<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Shiites gather in defiance of inurgents
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-09-19 20:34

          Hundreds of thousands of Shiites descended Monday on the holy city of Karbala, paying tribute to one of their most revered religious figures in what Iraqi officials called a defiant pilgrimage despite threats by militants, the Associated Press reported.

          In Baghdad, officials also announced that one of Saddam Hussein's nephews was sentenced to life in prison for funding the violent insurgency, and would stand trial on other charges.

          Authorities said they had already uncovered a cache of explosives and arrested four insurgents for allegedly planning on the pilgrims attending festivities marking the birthday of the 12th Shiite imam, Mohammed al-Mahdi.

          Similar gatherings in Karbala and other Shiite holy cities have ended in tragedy. In December, more than 50 pilgrims were killed in a series of bombings in Karbala, 50 miles south of Baghdad, and in March, at least 181 people died in coordinated bombings of Shiite pilgrims in Karbala and Baghdad. Both attacks were blamed on Sunni extremists.

          Just days before this celebration, al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in a recorded message, declared an "all-out war" on Shiites and others deemed American collaborators. But Iraqi Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi said Monday such threats would only "strengthen the defiance" of Iraqis.

          Abdul-Mahdi said the Shiite pilgrims heading to Karbala were the "biggest (example of) defiance in the face of threats by al-Zarqawi," according a statement released by the Iraqi presidency.

          The explosives cache found near Karbala was discovered late Sunday on farm land on the outskirts of the city, said police spokesman Rahman Mishawi.

          Three "non-Iraqi Arabs" were arrested, Mishawi said, along with a man armed with several hand grenades who was caught walking with a procession of pilgrims.

          Authorities were taking no chances this time.

          Karbala police Brig. Gen. Mohammed al-Hasnawi said that the city had been closed off to all vehicles since Friday, and that about 6,000 police and Iraqi army troops were deployed throughout the city. Policewomen would search female pilgrims, and nonresidents were required to obtain prior approval from authorities before being allowed to check in to hotels, he told The Associated Press.

          Officials said they expected more than 1 million people to gather for the celebration marking Imam al-Mahdi's birth in 868 A.D. According to Shiite tradition, he vanished without a trace and will return before Judgment Day leading the faithful in a battle for a true and just Islamic state.

          Additional security at holy sites was to be provided by al-Mahdi Army, a militia loyal to the radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, as well as by the Badr Brigade, a rival militia linked to the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq, another major Shiite party.

          Government officials had not announced that Saddam's nephew, Ayman Sabawi, was on trial before revealing that he had been convicted and sentenced to life in prison "for funding militants and possessing and manufacturing roadside bombs."

          Sabawi, the son of Saddam's half brother Sabawi Ibrahim al-Hassan, who served as a presidential adviser before the U.S.-led invasion, was captured in early May.

          The Iraqi Central Criminal Court in Baghdad said Sabawi would face a second trial — beginning Nov. 1 — for other, unspecified additional crimes to which he allegedly confessed during pretrial interrogation.

          His colleague, Tareq Khalaf Mizal, arrested along with Sabawi, was sentenced to six years.

          Since Wednesday, when 14 suicide bombs exploded in Baghdad in the bloodiest day in the capital since the war began, a staggering wave of insurgent violence has killed at least 250 people and wounded hundreds more nationwide.

          Shiites have suffered the brunt of the attacks, which al-Zarqawi said were in retaliation for the Iraqi-U.S. military operation against the insurgent stronghold of Tal Afar, a northern city near the Syrian border.

          The operation began Sept. 10, when a force of 5,000 Iraqi soldiers backed by 3,500 Americans stormed the city to clean it of insurgents for the second time in a year. Mopping-up operations continued Sunday with the Iraqi military reporting a total of 157 insurgents killed and 440 captured during the 10-day offensive.

          Army spokesman Maj. Gen. Abdul Aziz Mohamed-Jassim, said nine Iraqi soldiers and six policemen had died. The U.S. military has reported no deaths among its forces in the ancient city, known for its old citadel.



          North Korea to drop nuclear weapons development
          Clinton Global Initiative Summit
          Schwarzenegger seeks re-election in 2006
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          N. Korea agrees to abandon nuclear weapon efforts

           

             
           

          PBOC: Economy too much export-driven

           

             
           

          UN warned on abuse of intervention right

           

             
           

          White House invites China for G-7 talks

           

             
           

          China shares rise on restructuring hopes

           

             
           

          172 affected in Fujian cholera outbreak

           

             
            US to wait and see on North Korea nuke deal
             
            NASA planning moon launch for 2018
             
            Schroeder seeks coalition pacts with rivals
             
            Officials order lower Fla. Keys evacuated
             
            IAEA chief urges talks on Iran nuke plans
             
            Shiites gather in defiance of inurgents
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国内揄拍国产精品人妻门事件| 四虎网址| 久久青青草原精品国产app| 国产精品福利自产拍久久 | 精品人妻av中文字幕乱| 亚洲精品不卡av在线播放| 人人做人人妻人人精| 日本人成精品视频在线| 久久综合亚洲色一区二区三区| 天堂亚洲免费视频| 国产成人精品久久性色av| 亚洲情A成黄在线观看动漫尤物| 欧美中日韩免费观看网站| 熟女精品国产一区二区三区| 国产超碰无码最新上传| 韩国午夜福利片在线观看| 久久精品国产亚洲精品| 亚洲国产精品日韩AV专区| 欧洲免费一区二区三区视频| 午夜性做爰电影| 亚洲国产午夜精品福利| 一个添下面两个吃奶把腿扒开| 国产一区二区三区尤物视频| 亚洲区精品区日韩区综合区| 久久伊99综合婷婷久久伊| 青柠影院免费观看高清电视剧丁香| 国产成人a∨激情视频厨房| 亚州AV无码一区东京热久久| 亚洲人妻一区二区精品| 国产亚洲日韩在线播放更多| 中文字幕精品人妻丝袜| 亚洲天堂免费av在线观看| 亚洲中文字字幕精品乱码| 日夜啪啪一区二区三区| 草草ccyy免费看片线路| 成人3D动漫一区二区三区| 超碰在线公开中文字幕| 亚洲国产成人无码电影| 免费在线成人网| 亚洲色欲色欱WWW在线| 亚洲综合精品一区二区三区|