<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Yemen said linked to guns in Saudi attack
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-10-12 09:21

          Two AK-47 assault rifles used in a deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Saudi Arabia have been traced to Yemen's Defense Ministry, according to Western and Yemeni officials, raising new fears that the country isn't doing enough to fight terrorism.

          The revelation comes five years after al-Qaida-linked militants bombed the USS Cole destroyer on Oct. 12, 2000, at the port in San'a, the capital, killing 17 sailors.

          In other worrying developments, Yemeni militants are believed to be among foreigners fighting U.S.-led coalition forces in Iraq, U.S. and Iraqi officials have said.

          Some Yemenis have even carried out suicide bombings in Iraq after their release from prison here under a government program, say Yemeni officials cited in local newspapers. Under the "dialogue" program Islamic fundamentalists are let go in exchange for renouncing violence.

          Despite the setbacks, the United States continues to boost its security relationship with Yemen. Last week, it delivered more boats and equipment to the country's coast guard ahead of Wednesday's fifth anniversary of the USS Cole attack.

          While U.S. officials publicly praise Yemen for curbing extremist groups, Western and Yemeni diplomats privately say it must do more to lock down its porous, 1,120-mile border with Saudi Arabia and prevent weapons and militant smuggling.

          Yemen is awash with weapons, and strong ties exist between its military and tribal groups, which make up the backbone of President Ali Abdullah Saleh's power base.

          The Yemen government sometimes gives weapons to tribes to curry favor, and it is believed the AK-47 rifles in question were likely smuggled into a black market and bought by militants.

          Two of the AK-47 assault rifles used in the Dec. 6 militant attack on the U.S. consulate in the Saudi city of Jiddah were traced by their serial numbers back to Yemen's Ministry of Defense, a Western diplomat told The Associated Press, declining to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue. Five consulate employees and four attackers died in the assault.

          The diplomat said U.S. authorities have filed protests over the incident to Yemeni officials, complaining that more should be done to safeguard weapons.

          U.S. officials declined to confirm or deny the use of Yemeni weapons. But a Yemeni Foreign Ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said American and Saudi authorities have protested the use of at least one Yemeni weapon in the Jiddah attack.

          One of Yemen's most powerful tribal leaders, Sheikh Mohammed Naguib Shaif, also said U.S. and Yemeni officials told him that Yemeni military weapons were used in the Jiddah attack. Shaif also is a lawmaker aligned with the ruling political party.

          Shaif said the government must combat rampant corruption and reform its judiciary to prevent the country from turning into another Afghanistan or Iraq.

          "We can't establish security in Yemen before establishing an effective judiciary to enforce laws," Shaif told AP from his heavily fortified compound in San'a.

          Yemen came under intense U.S. pressure after the attack on the USS Cole by al-Qaida-linked militants, who rammed a dinghy packed with explosives into the destroyer. Yemen was called on to do even more to combat terrorism after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States.

          During the past three years, the United States has spent more than $18 million to strengthen Yemen's coast guard to prevent smuggling and militants entering from Horn of Africa nations.

          In turn, Yemen has sentenced to death two detainees for the USS Cole attack, including a Saudi held by U.S. authorities at an undisclosed location. It ordered four other Yemenis jailed for five to 10 years.

          A counterterrorism agent working for a Western government said the security relationship between Western governments and Yemen "was nascent and growing" with the West seeking more intelligence on what's happening in the farther reaches of the country.

          Yemen is the ancestral home of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and was a source of militants who fought in Afghanistan during its Soviet occupation.

          Newspapers in Yemen, citing anonymous Yemeni security sources, have reported that two Yemenis who died in a July suicide bombing in Baghdad were among more than 360 Islamic extremists released from Yemeni custody since 2003, as part of a "dialogue" program run by a senior judge with close ties to security officials.

          Supreme Court Judge Hamoud Abdulhamid Al-Hitar, however, said there was no evidence to prove that two released militants carried out any Iraq suicide attacks. But he acknowledged Yemeni security forces have caught dozens of young Yemenis bound for Iraq in the past two months.

          Al-Hitar said his dialogue sessions try to persuade extremists not to attack Western or government interests inside Yemen, and to reintegrate them back into society. He said Iraq is not addressed.

          "We are not interested in dealing with issues in Iraq," Al-Hitar told AP. But he added: "We try to tell them that it's not a duty to go to Iraq."

          A key political opposition figure, Yemeni Socialist Party lawmaker Mohammed Salah, claimed that the government has not cut ties to terrorists, and uses the program to "get these people to support and work for the authorities."

          "The government deals with terrorists in a way to keep them under their control, to use them when it needs to," said Salah.

          There may be little more Yemen's government can do given its limited control over vast tribal areas and the Saudi border, meaning al-Qaida militants can still move freely, said Anthony Cordesman of the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Affairs.

          "The Yemeni central government has done what it can, but it is very weak," Cordesman said. "It is not a matter of the government not trying. But there are limits to it can do."



          Soyuz space capsule lands
          Japanese parliament's lower house passes postal reform bills
          Quake jolted South Asia, killing more than 30,000 people
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Second manned spacecraft successfully takes off

           

             
           

          Reuters: Countdown to 2nd manned space trip

           

             
           

          AP: China readies two men for space mission

           

             
           

          AFP: Chinese astronauts board craft

           

             
           

          CPC sets blueprint for next five years

           

             
           

          Chinese rescuers in Pakistan offer hope

           

             
            Iraqis reach breakthrough deal on charter
             
            Iraqi judges trained for Saddam trial
             
            Diplomats see possible Iran compromise
             
            Desperate Pakistanis await earthquake aid
             
            EU slaps bird ban on Turkey as alarm mounts
             
            Rhein-Main Base closing after six decades
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 蜜臀视频在线观看一区二区| VA在线看国产免费| 日韩人妻无码精品系列| 国内自拍小视频在线看| 亚洲国产成人久久一区久久| 国产精品一区二区三粉嫩| 一区二区在线观看 激情| 成人无套少萝内射中出| 亚洲色大成网站www在线观看| 国产一区在线播放av| 老湿机香蕉久久久久久| 国产成人精品亚洲精品密奴| 日本一区二区三本视频在线观看| 亚洲国产区男人本色vr| 国产成人精品午夜2022| 99在线国产| 免费费很色大片欧一二区| 午夜男女爽爽影院免费视频下载| 特级无码毛片免费视频尤物| 素人视频亚洲十一十二区| 免费国产99久久久香蕉| 亚洲国产av永久精品成人| 老鸭窝在线视频| 电视剧在线观看| 日本亚洲中文字幕不卡| 狠狠色噜噜狠狠米奇777| 亚洲一区成人在线视频| 国产尤物av尤物在线观看| 亚洲av本道一区二区| 久久久久人妻精品一区三寸| 国产精品一线二线三线区| 欧洲性开放老太大| 无遮挡高潮国产免费观看| 国产老熟女国语免费视频| 成人AV专区精品无码国产 | 欧美亚洲一区二区三区在线| 成人精品大片—懂色av| 国产精品人妻熟女男人的天堂| 99在线国内在线视频22| 五月婷久久麻豆国产| 久草视频在线这里只有精品|