<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Leaders sound hopeful on Iraq troop cuts
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-11-24 19:51

          The Bush administration and military leaders are sounding optimistic notes about scaling back U.S. troops in Iraq next year, as public opposition to the war and congressional demands for withdrawal get louder.

          Contingency plans for a phased withdrawal include proposals to further postpone or cancel the deployment of a Fort Riley, Kan., brigade and an option to put a combat brigade in nearby Kuwait in case it is needed, said a senior Pentagon official.

          While military leaders would not confirm the size of possible withdrawals, conversations with defense officials and analysts suggest troop levels could drop below 100,000 next year, contingent on the progress of the Iraqi government and its security forces. There are currently about 155,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

          The official, who asked not to be identified because plans are not final, said stresses on the National Guard and Reserves are also factors.

          On Wednesday, Pentagon officials would not confirm any reduction plans. Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman said there has been "very positive" development of Iraqi security forces, and he added that "we plan for every possible contingency," including a smaller coalition force.

          President Bush has refused to set a withdrawal timetable, and the administration has consistently said U.S. troops will remain as long as needed. Led by Vice President Dick Cheney, the administration has strongly opposed last week's call by Rep. John Murtha (news, bio, voting record), D-Pa., for a U.S. withdrawal within six months.

          Public support for the war has fallen in recent weeks, fed by events such as the 2,000th U.S. military death there and allegations of the secret imprisonment and torture of some Iraqi prisoners by the Iraqi government.

          In recent days, some administration and military officials have made positive-sounding comments about a possible withdrawal.

          Lt. Gen. John Vines, chief of the Multi-National Corps-Iraq, said Iraqi security forces — which number about 212,000 now — are making excellent progress, an oft-cited precondition for removing U.S. troops. He said 36 Iraqi battalions are responsible for their own areas of operation.

          Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told Fox News on Tuesday that the U.S. would probably not need to maintain its current troop levels in Iraq "very much longer." Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told radio talk show host Sean Hannity that the war would wind down over the next two years, and "we'll see the coalition forces being able to pare down and pass over responsibility to Iraqi Security Forces on an orderly basis" after the Dec. 15 elections.

          The Washington Post, quoting anonymous sources, reported Wednesday that the Pentagon tentatively plans to reduce the number of U.S. forces in Iraq early next year by up to three of the 18 combat brigades.

          "With the number of units available, they are coming to the point where they simply were not going to have enough brigades," said Dan Goure, a military analyst with the nonpartisan Lexington Institute, which studies public policy. "There is a recognition that the number has to come down because of the stress that was being placed on the force."

          Goure added, "There is a plan that has been in the works for at least six months with the idea that we possibly could reduce the number of troops."

          Rumsfeld and others have said they expect U.S. forces to drop back down to the base level of about 138,000 after the Dec. 15 election for Iraq's new government. So far, the Pentagon has identified 92,000 troops who will be rotated into Iraq through mid-2008, though Rumsfeld has cautioned that should not be taken as a final number.

          Officials have put off the deployment of the 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, based at Fort Riley, Kan., which was originally scheduled to deploy before the election. That deployment has not yet been scheduled.

          The troops currently in Iraq comprise 17 brigades and three additional battalions — which add up to about another brigade. The three battalions are scheduled to return home after the first of the year. A brigade normally numbers between 3,500 and 5,000 soldiers, while battalions average about 800.

          Basing a brigade in Kuwait, where it could train and be ready for any emergency action, would not be an unexpected move. That country has long been used as a staging area for troops entering and leaving Iraq.



          Ukraine marks 'orange revolution' anniversary
          Merkel named first female chancellor in Germany
          Bush pardons thanksgiving turkey
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          80-kilometer pollution slick reaches Harbin city

           

             
           

          Woman dies of bird flu, vaccine trials to start

           

             
           

          China urges Japan PM to halt shrine visits

           

             
           

          Turkmenistan, China to sign gas supply deal

           

             
           

          Beauty queen sparks ugly debate in Shenzhen

           

             
           

          US leaders sound hopeful on Iraq troop cuts

           

             
            Suicide bombing south of Baghdad kills 30
             
            China urges Japan PM to halt shrine visits
             
            Newsview: Public taking hard look at Iraq
             
            Saddam defense team expected to appear
             
            Turkmenistan, China to sign gas supply deal
             
            US leaders sound hopeful on Iraq troop cuts
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 性夜影院爽黄e爽| 国产精品免费视频网站| 国产精品美女免费无遮挡| 97精品亚成在人线免视频 | 国产区精品系列在线观看| 国产熟睡乱子伦视频在线播放| 99香蕉国产精品偷在线观看 | 最近2019中文字幕免费看| 精品国产电影网久久久久婷婷| 久久中文字幕国产精品| 国产av一区二区三区| 国产区精品福利在线熟女| 精品久久久无码中文字幕| 国产精品户外野外| 国产一区日韩二区欧美三区| 国产办公室秘书无码精品99| 亚洲精品国产第一区二区| 最新精品国偷自产在线| 国产一区二区三区不卡视频| 18禁无遮挡啪啪无码网站破解版| 国产精品国产三级欧美二区| 亚洲人成网站77777在线观看| 极品人妻少妇一区二区| 激情综合网激情综合网激情| 又大又紧又粉嫩18p少妇| 亚洲国产欧美日韩另类| 国产精品乱码人妻一区二区三区 | 国产一精品一av一免费| 亚洲成av人片色午夜乱码| 樱花草在线社区WWW韩国| 久久久久久久综合日本| 免费无码AV一区二区波多野结衣| 在线永久看片免费的视频| 国产精品中文字幕二区| 国精品无码一区二区三区在线看 | 日韩美女视频一区二区三区| 久久se精品一区精品二区国产| 国产无遮挡裸体免费久久| 亚洲欧美人成人综合在线播放| 成人亚洲一级午夜激情网| 欧美国产成人精品二区芒果视频 |